Commuting & Travel
Everything you need to know about local travel and further beyond.
TRANSPORTATION to NYC
Getting to New York City from Hoboken is very easy and it is nice that there are so many options. One complaint about moving further away from NYC to other towns in NJ, NY or CT is that there are few alternatives to commuting into Manhattan or the surrounding boroughs. Nevertheless, Hoboken offers frequent bus, rail and ferry service with travel times as quick as five minutes to Manhattan! Here are the best ways to get to NYC from Hoboken:
The PATH is located on the southeast corner of Hoboken at 1 Hudson Place. From Hoboken the PATH goes to:
- WTC (70 Vesey St),
- Christopher St (at Hudson St)
- 6th Ave at:
- 9th Street
- 14th Street
- 23rd Street
- 33rd Street
The PATH runs regularly and all night but the train runs less often at night and the routes change on weekends and holidays.
The bus (#126) runs north on Washington and Clinton Streets making stops every other block to NYC’s Port Authority Terminal located on West 41st St and 8th Avenue. The bus also takes passengers to the PATH on Washington Street and Willow Avenue and down the same streets out of NYC from Port Authority. Be sure to have a ticket, monthly pass or exact fare ready before getting on.
NY Waterway ferry service makes Hudson River crossings from:
Hoboken Terminal (1 Hudson Place) to:
- Wall Street/Pier 11 (at South Street)
- World Financial Center (at Vesey Street).
Hoboken 14th Street Terminal located at 1401 Frank Sinatra Drive to:
- World Financial Center (at Vesey Street)
- Midtown/W. 39th St (Pier 79 at 459 12th Avenue)
While the ferry is the most expensive way to get to NYC, it is a beautiful ride and the fastest way. Take advantage of the free cross-town buses they provide from the midtown location.
Car service or taxis are available as well and they run about $40-$50. You can call for a door to door ride.
- Buscanero (201)-795-1131
- Millennium (201)-325-8294
- Travel Taxi (201)-222-9505
(see Zip and Hertz Direct below). If you have a car or decide to rent one, driving into NYC can be easy (depending on traffic). Be sure to check out the traffic at the Holland and Lincoln Tunnel before deciding to drive. Tune into 880 am (traffic reports on the 8s after the hour) or 1010 am (traffic reports on the 1s) or traffic.com.
TRANSPORATION WITHIN HUDSON COUNTY & BEYOND
The PATH can also take you to Jersey City, Newark Penn Station and Harrison.
New jersey Transit buses 64, 68, 85, 87, 126, 22, 89, 23 and 22X terminate at Hudson Place/Hoboken Terminal
NJ TRANSIT TRAINS
The train station is located in the Hoboken Terminal, 1 Hudson Place, in the southeast corner of Hoboken (same terminal as the PATH, Ferry and Light Rail). Commuter rail lines that service Hoboken Terminal:
- Main/Bergen-Port Jervis Line
- Montclair-Boonton Line
- Morristown Line
- North Jersey Coast Line
- Pascack Valley Line
- Gladstone Branch
The light rail connects areas in Hoboken that are further north or west to the Hoboken Terminal (allowing access to the PATH, Ferry, & NJ Transit trains). It is also a good way to get to neighboring towns. There are three light rail stations in Hoboken:
- Hoboken Terminal (1 Hudson Place)
- 2nd St (at 204 Marshall St)
- 9th St (at 700 8th St/Jackson St)
Taxis are available for a flat fare within city limits and negotiated fare for other destinations. In Hoboken, you do not hail a taxi in the street, but you can call one or there are always taxis waiting outside of Hoboken Terminal (1 Hudson Place).
The City teamed w/ Hertz to free up more street parking space and to allow occasional drivers a good alternative option to owning a car. It is great for people that do not need a car every day and allows them to not have to worry about where to park. You can simply rent cars by the hour or by the day. The concept is Hertz on Demand (formerly known as Connect by Hertz). You can find these cars throughout Hoboken at the following locations:
Hoboken Corner Car Locations:
- Clinton Street & Newark Street
- Vezzetti Way (at both east & west ends)
- Hudson Street & 15th Street
- Garden Street & 11th Street
- Hudson Street & 11th Street
- Monroe Street & 8th Street
- Adams Street & 8th Street
- 8. Jefferson Street & 4th Street
- Clinton Street & 7th Street
- Harrison Street & 2nd Street
- Jefferson Street & 1st Street
- Adams Street & 2nd Street
- Jackson Street & 4th Street
- Grand Street & 12th Street
- Madison Street & 10th Street
- Willow Avenue & 10th Street
- Clinton Street & 9th Street
- Garden Street & 8th Street
- Park Ave & 6th Street
- Clinton Street & 4th Street
- 21. Bloomfield Street & 4th Street
As an alternative Zipcar is located downtown at the Center Parking Garage on Park Avenue between Newark Street and Observer Highway.
What to know more about living in Hoboken?
We’d love to share our experience of moving to and living in Hoboken